Downloading YouTube videos on an iPhone can be tricky given Apple’s restrictions on what apps are allowed in the App Store. However, there are still several good options to save YouTube videos for offline viewing on your iPhone. Here, we will cover the main methods for YT video download on iOS.
You can use Safari or Documents by Readdle, which is a popular file manager and browser app on iOS that makes it easy to download YouTube videos. Here are the steps:
- Download and open the Documents by Readdle app
- Tap the compass icon to open the built-in browser
- Go to www.videosolo.com/online-video-downloader
- Paste the YouTube video link and tap Download
- Select video format and quality
- The video will download to the Downloads folder
An advantage of this method is Documents is a reliable app for managing downloads. A limitation is it relies on a third-party site to handle the actual download.
YouTube Shorts Downloader (Shortcut)
This YouTube Shorts Downloader shortcut uses the iOS Shortcuts app to download YouTube Shorts videos.
To use it:
- Download and install the shortcut
- Open the YouTube app and share the video link to shortcut
- Allow permissions when prompted
- Select video or audio download
It only works for Shorts instead of regular YouTube videos. But it’s a handy shortcut if you just need to save Shorts.
Popular YT Downloader Sites
Safari browser itself can also be used to download videos from YouTube by accessing YT downloader sites. Here are the main steps:
- Open the Safari app and go to the web page containing the video and copy the URL
- Go to ytdownload or ssyoutube and paste the URL
- Look for a Download button or link below the video and tap it
- Select quality and confirm download
The video will be saved to your Downloads folder accessible through the Files app.
The iOS Shortcuts App Method
Apple’s Shortcuts app allows power users to automate tasks on iOS using community-developed shortcuts. There are a few great YouTube downloaders like:
JAYD stands for Just Another YouTube Downloader. It’s one of the most popular Shortcuts for saving YouTube videos.
To use it:
- Download the Shortcuts app and the JAYD shortcut
- Open the YouTube app and share the video link to JAYD
- Follow prompts to allow permissions
- Select video quality and save the location
All Media Downloader
This shortcut works with YouTube plus other sites like Instagram, Reddit, etc.
- Install the All Media Downloader shortcut
- In social media apps, share videos and select shortcut
- Choose download options
It’s convenient for downloading media from many apps. But the wide scope means more permissions are required.
This is how you can download YouTube videos on your iPhone in HD quality hassle-free. You don’t need to pay anything as all of these methods are free and the download process is very simple.