Fortnite was removed from the iOS App Store in August 2020 due to a dispute between Epic Games and Apple over in-app purchases. Since then, iPhone and iPad users have been looking for ways to play the popular battle royale game on their devices.
With the upcoming release of iOS 17 in Fall 2023, there is renewed hope that Fortnite may return natively to iPhones and iPads. Let’s look at the possibilities and methods for playing Fortnite on iOS devices with iOS 17.
Will Fortnite Return to the iOS App Store with iOS 17?
There have been rumors that iOS 17 would allow sideloading of apps like Fortnite, which is not available on the App Store. But we didn’t see such changes even two months after the iOS 17 release.
However, it is not guaranteed that Fortnite itself will be made available again through the iOS App Store. The legal dispute between Epic Games and Apple is still ongoing, with no resolution in sight.
Unless a settlement is reached, the only way Fortnite could return to iOS is through sideloading the Epic Games launcher and installing Fortnite through that. There are also some other ways.
Using Cloud Gaming to Play Fortnite on iOS
In the meantime, iPhone and iPad users have the option of playing Fortnite via cloud gaming services. This streams the game to your device’s browser without needing to install anything from the App Store.
Here are the top cloud gaming platforms that support Fortnite on iOS devices:
Xbox Cloud Gaming
Xbox Cloud Gaming allows you to stream Fortnite for free using just a Microsoft account and internet browser.
To play Fortnite using Xbox Cloud Gaming:
- Open the Safari browser on your iPhone or iPad
- Go to xbox.com/play
- Sign in with your Microsoft account
- Search for Fortnite and select ‘Play for Free’
- Tap ‘Get Ready to Play’ and add the site to your Home Screen
- Launch the game from your Home Screen, sign in, and you’re ready to play!
Nvidia GeForce Now
GeForce Now is Nvidia’s cloud gaming service that supports Fortnite. The free membership has a 1 hour limit per session.
Follow these steps to play on iOS:
- Open the GeForce Now website in Safari
- Login and click ‘Join Now’
- Add the site to your Home Screen
- Open GeForce Now, search for Fortnite, and click ‘Play’
- Login with your Epic Games account
Amazon’s Luna cloud gaming platform allows Prime and Luna+ subscribers to stream Fortnite.
To access Fortnite on iOS using Luna:
- Go to the Luna website in Safari
- Login with your Amazon account
- Search for Fortnite and select the game
- Click ‘Start’ to launch Fortnite
- Your Epic Games account will automatically sign in
The benefit of cloud gaming is that you can access the full Fortnite experience on iOS devices. Progression, purchases, and unlocks are carried over from your main Epic Games account.
Sideload Older Versions of Fortnite Mobile
Another option is to install older iOS versions of Fortnite Mobile using sideloaded IPA files. This only works for the Fortnite Mobile game client from 2020 and earlier that Epic Games produced.
The main methods are:
- AltStore – A sideloading app that can install IPA files on iOS devices. You can get the latest compatible Fortnite Mobile IPA to play on your iPhone or iPad.
- Jailbreaking – Jailbreaking your device lets you freely sideload any IPA. However, jailbreaking has risks, so proceed with caution.
- Third-party app stores – Some third-party iOS app stores distribute older IPA files for Fortnite Mobile. These can also be sideloaded.
The downside is that these older versions cannot play the latest Fortnite Chapter 4 updates. You’ll be stuck on older seasons from Chapter 2.
The Future of Fortnite on iOS
Epic Games has not made any official announcement yet. While the return of Fortnite to the iOS App Store is not confirmed, sideloading and cloud gaming services are the only solution to play Fortnite on iPhone on iOS 17. Hopefully, the legal issues will eventually be resolved, allowing Fortnite to come back to iOS in some official capacity. For now, savor the ability to play this iconic game on your Apple device in limited form.