Geometry Dash is one of the most popular and addictive rhythm-based running games on mobile devices. However, many players have recently reported issues with Geometry Dash not opening or crashing on iOS 17. Here, we have suggested some common yet useful solution methods that may help you solve the issue.
What Is The Issue?
The main reason Geometry Dash crashes or does not open in iOS 17 is due to the transition from 32-bit to 64-bit applications.
Apple has dropped support for 32-bit apps in iOS 17 and beyond. Unfortunately, Geometry Dash is still based on 32-bit architecture, making it incompatible with the latest iOS versions.
Until the game developers release an updated 64-bit version of Geometry Dash, it simply won’t work on iOS 17.
Solution #1: Update Geometry Dash to the Latest Version
The first troubleshooting step is to check if there is a new version of Geometry Dash available. The developers may have released an update to fix iOS 17 compatibility issues.
To update Geometry Dash:
- Open the App Store on your iOS device
- Tap on your profile icon at the top right corner
- Scroll down to find Geometry Dash under ‘Available Updates’
- If an update is available, tap ‘Update’ next to the app name
- Let the update install completely before launching the game
If no updates are available, move on to the next methods below.
Solution #2: Transfer Progress to Another iOS Device
If you have access to another iPhone or iPad still running iOS 16, you can transfer your Geometry Dash progress and data to that device as a temporary solution.
Here is how to transfer data between iOS devices:
- Install Geometry Dash on the other iOS device if not already present
- On your new device, open Settings > [Your Name] > iCloud
- Enable iCloud Backup by toggling on the switch
- Also enable iCloud Drive if prompted
- Connect both devices to power and WiFi
- On your old device, open Settings > [Your Name] > iCloud > Manage Storage > Backups
- Tap on your device name and tap Back Up Now
- Wait for the backup to complete
- On the new device, open Settings > [Your Name] > iCloud > Manage Storage > Restore Backup
- Tap on your old device’s backup and tap Restore
- Wait for the restore process to finish
- Your Geometry Dash data is now on the new device.
Solution #3: Play Geometry Dash on Another Platform
If you have Geometry Dash installed on another device like an Android phone or PC, you can continue playing there while waiting for an iOS 17 fix.
As long as your game progress was saved online to your Geometry Dash account, you can pick up where you left off on the other platform.
- Install Geometry Dash on an Android phone or PC
- Sign in using your Geometry Dash account credentials
- Your online save data will sync and you can resume gameplay
This allows you to still enjoy Geometry Dash without issues until the developers release an iOS 17 compatible version.
Solution #4: Wait for the Geometry Dash 2.2 Update
The development team at RobTop Games has announced that the major 2.2 update for Geometry Dash will fix the iOS 17 crashing problems.
While an exact release date is still unconfirmed, the update is scheduled to launch sometime in October 2023 according to the developers.
Once version 2.2 rolls out, Geometry Dash should be able to run smoothly on iOS 17 and higher versions. So waiting for this update is your best bet for a permanent solution.
In the meantime, you can pass time by playing the ‘Geometry Dash Lite’ or ‘Geometry Dash Meltdown’ versions if you need your rhythm game fix.
Solution #5: Clear App Data and Reinstall Geometry Dash
As a last resort, you can attempt to delete and reinstall Geometry Dash on your iOS device to resolve any corrupted files that may be causing launch issues.
Warning: This will delete all your local Geometry Dash data and progress. Make sure your save data is backed up online before proceeding!
Follow these steps carefully:
- Open Settings > General > iPhone/iPad Storage on your device
- Find Geometry Dash and tap on it
- Select ‘Delete App’ to uninstall it
- Open the App Store and redownload Geometry Dash
- Sign in to your Geometry Dash account when launching the game
- Your online backup data will restore
This should wipe any problematic cached or temporary data that may have been causing the app to crash on startup.
Solution #6: Contact Geometry Dash Developers
If you still can’t get Geometry Dash working in iOS 17 after trying all troubleshooting methods, you should directly contact the development team at RobTop Games and report the issue.
They may already be aware of the iOS 17 incompatibility problem and can provide personalized support or an estimated timeline for the 2.2 update release.
You can reach them via:
- Email at [email protected]
- Through Geometry Dash Facebook page
- Geometry Dash Twitter account
- Official Geometry Dash forums
Make sure to include your device model, iOS version, Geometry Dash version, and detailed issue description when contacting them for the fastest resolution.
Geometry Dash launch problems in iOS 17 can be attributed to the lack of 64-bit support. While waiting for the upcoming 2.2 update is the permanent solution, you can try updating the app, transferring your save data, playing on other platforms, reinstalling the game, or contacting the development team in the meantime.