We are still waiting for iOS 17.2 but the excitement for iOS 18 is already high. Apple’s upcoming iOS 18 update is set to bring new features and enhancements to millions of iPhones later this year. While the full details remain under wraps, early reports suggest iOS 18 will include major improvements to Siri, new capabilities for Shortcuts, upgrades to core apps like Messages and Safari, and much more.
But before all that, let’s look at which devices will actually be compatible with iOS 18. Apple generally provides 5-6 years of software support for each iPhone model, so iOS 18 will likely drop support for older models while supporting everything from the iPhone XR and newer.
iOS 18 Compatible iPhone Models
Based on Apple’s software support history, we expect iOS 18 to be compatible with the following iPhone models:
- iPhone 15, 15 Plus, 15 Pro, and 15 Pro Max
- iPhone 14, 14 Plus, 14 Pro, and 14 Pro Max
- iPhone 13, 13 Mini, 13 Pro, and 13 Pro Max
- iPhone 12, 12 Mini, 12 Pro, and 12 Pro Max
- iPhone 11, 11 Pro, and 11 Pro Max
The recently released iPhone 15 lineup will also support iOS 18 out of the box. Hence, iOS 18 will likely support all iPhones from the iPhone 11 and later
What’s New in iOS 18?
While Apple has not officially unveiled iOS 18 yet, rumors point to some major new features on the horizon. Here’s a quick look at what we might see:
- Siri improvements – iOS 18 could bring big upgrades to Siri through Apple’s language models, allowing Siri to handle more complex, multi-step voice commands.
- Shortcuts expansion – Related to the Siri improvements, Shortcuts may be more deeply integrated into iOS 18 for powerful automations.
- Messages upgrades – Apple often brings new Messages features like improved search, new effects, and more.
- Safari changes – The Safari browser tends to get redesigns and new capabilities with each iOS update.
- New apps – Apple sometimes introduces entirely new stock apps, such as Measure in iOS 12. There could be a new addition in iOS 18.
- AR enhancements – iOS updates typically bring new augmented reality capabilities and developer tools. Expect iOS 18 to push AR further.
And of course, we’ll see the usual slew of new wallpapers, design tweaks, and under-the-hood performance improvements that come with any major iOS release. Apple will likely unveil iOS 18 in full at WWDC 2024 in June, with a public release in September alongside the iPhone 16.
iOS 18 Release Date
While the exact release date remains to be seen, we can predict iOS 18’s rollout based on Apple’s usual software update timeline:
- June 2024: Apple will unveil iOS 18 at WWDC 2024, with the first developer beta releasing that same month.
- July to August 2024: Apple will release new developer betas every 1-2 weeks, leading up to the public beta in mid to late August.
- September 2024: iOS 18 will see its official public release alongside the upcoming iPhone 16 lineup.
- October 2024: The first major iOS 18.1 update will likely arrive with bug fixes and new features.
So, look for the first iOS 18 beta in June, public beta in August, and full iOS 18 release in September 2024. Anyone with a compatible iPhone will be able to update and access the latest features.