Apple has finally released the most awaited iOS 17 software update. iOS 17 brings some exciting new features to the iPhone, including customizable contact posters and easy contact sharing using the new NameDrop feature, which is one of my favourites. While these can be fun to use, sometimes you may want to turn them off for privacy or other reasons. But how do you disable it? That’s what I am here for. In this article I am going to show you how to turn offsharecontact in iOS 17. Let’s get started!
Also Check: How to Customize Your Contact Poster on iOS 17
What is Name and Photo Sharing?
The Name and Photo Sharing / contact sharing feature in iOS has been around for a while, allowing you to share your name and contact photo with specific people in your contacts list when you call or message them. But with iOS 17, this extends to sharing your full customizable contact poster that can include your name, photo, phone numbers, email addresses, and more. The new NameDrop/ share contact feature also allows two iPhone users to instantly exchange contact posters just by bringing their phones close together.
While this can be convenient, not everyone will want to share their full contact details so freely. Fortunately, disabling name and photo sharing is easy.
Can you turn off share contact in iOS 17?
Absolutely, you can easily turn off this feature on your compatible iOS 17 devices. While restricting name and photo sharing improves privacy, there are a few things to keep in mind:
- Your contacts may see generic “iPhone” as your caller ID instead of your name when you call them.
- You won’t be able to easily use the NameDrop feature to exchange info.
- If you use multiple Apple devices, your info won’t sync across them all.
- Your contacts’ phones will store your info based on what they have saved, not what you share.
How to turn off share contact in ios 17?
- Open the Phone app and tap Contacts at the bottom.
- Tap your own contact card at the top of the list.
- Tap Contact Photo & Poster.
- Toggle off the Name & Photo Sharing switch.
With this setting turned off, your customized name, photo, and contact poster will no longer be shared automatically via the Name and Photo Sharing feature.
You can also change this setting to “Always Ask” if you only want to be prompted before sharing your info. The NameDrop/ share contact feature will also be disabled when Name & Photo Sharing is turned off.
How to Customizing Your Share Contact Poster on iOS 17?
Even with name and photo sharing off, you can still customize your contact poster in iOS 17. Here are a few tips:
- Select alternate contact info like emails or social profiles you want to display.
- Change your contact photo to a picture, Memoji, or Animoji.
- Rearrange sections or add your home address.
- Set a fun tagline or contact labels like “Best Friend.”
While your poster may not be viewable by others, you’ll still see your changes in the Contacts app and can choose to share it later if desired.Until next time, with another topic. Till then, Toodles.